HOW BUILD BACK BETTER HELPS WI-03
Rep. Ron Kind (WI-03)
- In WI-03, a district with over 48,500 children under age 6, the child care market sails to serve 70% of young children.
- 27% of young children in WI-03 don’t have all available parents in the workforce, while over 32,950 parents make career sacrifices due to issues with child care.
- The average annual cost of child care in Wisconsin is $10,332. Compared with the median income of $85,750 for a family of four in WI-03, infant care costs as a share of median family income in the district total approximately 12%
- The Build Back Better Act will provide universal pre-k to all 3-and 4-year olds, giving all children access to high-quality early education, and will ensure that no working family in WI-03 pays more than 7% of their income on child care.
Child Tax Credit
- In WI-03, approximately 17% of young children live in poverty.
- About 132,000 children in WI-03 qualify for the enhanced Child Tax Credit payments, and a total of 70,000 payments were made to WI-03 families in October.
- The average payment per household across the state of Wisconsin was $447.
- The Build Back Better Act will extend the fully refundable enhanced Child Tax Credit to provide up to $3,600 per qualified child until 2023.
- The Build Back Better Act could help an estimated 23,000 WI-03 residents save an average $600 per year on health insurance premiums by extending expanded Affordable Care Act premium tax credits.
- Extending the expanded Premium Tax Credits through 2025 could give WI-03 residents an estimated average $1,177.65 tax cut per tax filer.
- The Build Back Better Act could also lead to expanded Medicare coverage of hearing benefits for up to 156,290 residents in WI-03.
- 7.6% of adults in WI-03 have been diagnosed with diabetes; the Build Back Better Act will lower the price of insulin by placing a $35-per-month cap on the drug.
- 92% of registered voters in WI-03 support allowing Medicare to negotiate lower prescription drug prices.
- The Build Back Better Act will help ensure that drug costs do not increase faster than inflation by allowing Medicare to negotiate lower drug prices.
Earned Income Tax Credit
- The Build Back Better Act will extend the current expanded Earned Income Tax Credit for childless workers of up to $1,502 for one year.
- An estimated 45,000 working families in WI-03 will benefit from the expanded Earned Income Tax Credit.
- WI-03 is already home to 8,440 clean energy jobs, including 719 renewable energy jobs and 6,837 energy efficiency jobs. The Build Back Better Act will bring even more good-paying, green union jobs to WI-03.
- 82% of adults in WI-03 support providing tax rebates for energy-efficient vehicles or solar panels, and 70% believe corporations should do more to address global warming.
- The Build Back Better Act will make historic investments in clean energy technologies, and help middle class families save money transitioning to clean energy electrification.
- WI-03 faces an affordable housing shortage of over 10,640 homes, meanwhile, 20% of all renter households in the district are severely cost-burdened.
- The Build Back Better Act will make the largest investment in history for the construction, rehabilitation, and improvement of affordable housing.
- The Act will also make historic investments in rental and down payment assistance programs.