JOB: COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR
Title: Communications Director
Location: Remote with East Coast hours
Reports to: Senior Advisor
Status: Full time/exempt
Duration: January-June 2022 with possibility for extension
Invest in America is a national war room on the front lines of the fight for robust public investment. With regular communications with key lawmakers on the Hill, top advocacy groups, and leading political strategists, Invest in America’s small but mighty team is in the thick of the push for the Build Back Better Act and will play a major role in the effort to raise awareness of the transformative public investments passed by Congress and the Biden administration in key states in the coming year.
Invest in America consists of two components: Invest in America, the charitable and public education arm; and Invest in America Action, the advocacy and social welfare arm which actively engages in real-time public policy and political fights.
The Communications Director will run an aggressive and agile comms shop focused on promoting public investment and raising awareness of the transformative impact of the legislation passed by Congress and the Biden administration — namely, the American Rescue Plan, the Bipartisan Infrastructure Deal, and the Build Back Better Act.
- Earned Media: The Comms Director will spearhead efforts to garner earned media coverage touting the benefits of the public investment pass by Congress. This work will include brainstorming pitches, cultivating and deploying Invest in America’s network of surrogates in the press, backgrounding reporters, and working with other departments to brainstorm reports, fact sheets, and other tactics that will generate media coverage.
- Deploy Products: The Comms Director will work with the research team and Press Secretary to oversee the execution and deployment of a regular stream of products to members of the media and allies, including statements, fact sheets, op-eds, background docs, polling briefs, message guidance, and more.
- Press Events: The Communications Director will brainstorm and execute regular press events, both nationally and in target states, featuring high-profile speakers raising awareness of key investments in the American Rescue Plan, Bipartisan Infrastructure Deal and Build Back Better Act. Invest in America’s press events have featured U.S. senators, former Cabinet officials, top economists, and high-profile advocates.
The ideal candidate:
- Is a senior-level comms professional with 5+ years of experience in a fast-paced environment, ideally on a political campaign, on Capitol Hill, or in an issue advocacy setting.
- Is an idea-generator who is willing and able to brainstorm and try new things to get press attention and influence media narratives.
- Possesses strong project management skills and has a keen attention to detail.
- Is a strong writer who enjoys synthesizing complex topics into both long form pieces and concise talking points; experience writing op-eds in different voices is a plus.
- Has a strong network of reporters and ability to develop new relationships with national and state reporters; strong relationships with Congressional reporters, economy reporters, and/or TV bookers is a plus.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send a resume and writing sample (op-ed, sign-on letter, speech or similar medium-to-long form piece that demonstrates and the ability to clearly and concisely communicate policy) to [email protected] with “Comms Director Application” in the email subject.